Thursday, August 25, 2011

An accidental Brittany sighting and a miracle


Editors Note: Brittany's Dad, Mom and little sister, Sara, were in San Diego last week for a variety of reasons, and went to the Mormon Battalion Historic Site as part of the vacation. They had arranged to visit the site when Brittany was not around (it's just easier that way, especially for the missionary, who isn't supposed to see family for 18 months to 2 years, and only hear them on the phone for Christmas and Mother's Day). Unfortunately, things failed to happen as planned. Here's the story of what happened, from Sara's point of view, on Friday, August 19.

I 100% PROMISE we did not go to the Mormon Battalion Site to see Sister Newman. We arranged it so we went while she was out proselyting and we wouldn't see her. Funny story though: that didn't exactly happen. OOPS.

My parents and I were just getting ready to head into the site, but decided to take a little picture in front of the Battalion sign before heading in. While my dad was taking a picture of my mom, I randomly thought to turn around and low and behold is my little big sister!


I didn't know what to do! I was shocked and was not expecting to see her! Obviously, I squealed out loud with excitement as she waved at me and then both my parents turned around to see what happened. My mom was grinning ear to ear and my dad said "oh no... is that Brittany?" He started to run away! Classic!

She was already across the street coming our way. I stopped to see what she did. She was my cutest sister ever and ran towards me so I picked her right up and gave her the biggest hug ever! Apparently, she got a last-minute transfer and that's how it all happened with the timing being off and us seeing her and everything.

I LOVE HER SOOOOOO MUCH! You can tell she is sooo happy and such a great missionary. We all got a hug and got to say, "hi" for a quick second and then she was off and back to teach and spread the Gospel!

It truly was an accident but I am so glad it happened!

And now, Brittany's letter:

SAN DIEGO — First of all, Sara, Mom, and Dad, stop worrying about seeing me on Friday! Heavenly Father must have needed us to see each other, and it was really good to be able to give you all a hug! No worries, I am still focused and working hard! Thank you for being so awesome.

All the sisters kept coming up to me and telling me how amazing you are. They all think I am a cut out of you mom, what a compliment! Sister Christensen said, "Why can't all our member families that come through be like the Newmans?" Thank you for thinking of referrals and just being such great member missionaries! I am so proud of you, I keep telling everyone how lucky I am to have you all. I know I couldn't do this without all the love and support you give me.

Like I told you last week, we had transfers! I got transferred to a young single adult ward in Ranchos Penasquitos (Mira Mesa). My companion's name is Sister Nelson, she is from Utah. She is awesome. We are trying to figure out how to teach together and everything, it is hard sometimes, but somehow, Heavenly Father helps it all work out.

I want to share a miracle that happened this week, It wasn't anything Sister Nelson or I did, it was because of members just like you, shared the gospel by being examples, friends, and having true charity and love for God's children.

We started teaching Michael and Robert, two guys from Utah who are here for the summer working for a pest control company. They were roomed with five guys also from Utah who are members of the Church. We call them the "bug boys". We taught Michael and Robert on Thursday (they have a date to be baptized on September 3rd). Michael came up to us on Sunday and told us he wanted to be baptized this coming Thursday! I thought, how can you want to be baptized? We haven't hardly had the chance to teach you anything yet!

I learned two things from that experience. First, you have no idea how much of an impact you make in peoples lives. I was talking to Michael and he said, Shawn (one of the bug boys) was just my friend, he told me about The Book of Mormon, how it would change my life and then he left it on the table in case I wanted to read it, but other than that, he just cared."

The second thing I was reminded of is how powerful the Gospel of Jesus Christ is. It touches the soul so deeply and sparks a remembering in people of who they are and where they came from. I don't know if that made sense. I just see as I teach people about where they came from, and how they can live with their families forever light up inside. I know it is because their spirits remember. Of course, a daughter or son of God, who was created by a Heavenly King — no matter if they can't see or remember where they came from — will never forget it. It is part of who they are, and when they read The Book of Mormon or hear about Christ's church, somewhere deep inside, they remember who they are. Oh, it is so AWESOME!

I don't have much time this week, but I wanted to tell you all how much I love you. There are so many miracles around us! You are part of those miracles!

Nick, I have been praying for you, I hope your job interviewing goes well! Love you so much! Tell the girls hello!

Chris- Congrats on Graduation! Love you!

Sara- Can't wait to hear how San Diego went! I will write you next week, this week we are going to the temple, so I wont have much time to write.

Sister Garritson- I met President Peterson at the Mormon Batallion. He was Jordan's mission president. He couldn't stop talking about what a good missionary he is!

Jessica and Natassja- I saw Ken and Devin at the Mormon Battalion. It made me think of you. Hope you have an amazing start at school! Let me know what your address is in Provo!

Grandma Newman- HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Grammy and Gramps Morgan- LOVE YOU SO MUCH!

Mom- HAPPY BIRTHDAY Sure do love ya!

I have a joke before I go. Some guy told it to me at the Battalion.
How many Elders (from the Elders Quorum, not missionary elders) does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
....
one, but you have to wait till the end of the month!

Well, I thought it was funny.


No comments:

Post a Comment