Tuesday, April 24, 2012

"Why are you still here?" and apartment scares

SAN DIEGO — I'm glad you are all doing well. I bet Dad and Sara are getting excited to go to Finland. Relax, and enjoy- No stressing out, okay?! :)

Honestly, today has been a rough day. I am so tired. I still haven't caught up on sleep from getting up at 4 to take Sister Haggerty to the airport. We had exchanges a few days ago, we stayed up until 12:30 talking about things. Definite lack of sleep going on.

Transfers are tomorrow, which I am bittersweet about. Of course, I am going to miss Sister Kennington. She is my best friend. We have been through the best and worst together, that is for sure. I think we are both very worn out of being trainer sisters, but of course are willing to do whatever Heavenly Father asks next of us. Stay tuned next week to see where I end up!

I think this week I will share some excerpts from my journal. This first one is an adventure from last Tuesday night.

April 17, 2012

....We drove up to our apartment on tonight and the lights were on. We thought about it for a minute, and realized that both of us double and triple checked the lights and they were off before we left. Sister Kennington was SO scared. She has a HUGE imagination to say the least.

Elder Seegmiller was at the Battalion, so we asked him to walk over with us to check things out. The dead bolt was locked: something we NEVER lock, which didn't make things better with Sister Kennington. I could almost see the images of robbers and burglars racing across her mind. Elder Seegmiller checked it out, and all was well, but that didn't calm any minds. 

Sister Kennington was still so scared, she made me check every nook and cranny in the house. Imagine the times when Sara and I were in the basement and we saw a spider and Sara would freak out and make me go kill the spider even though I hate spiders myself. Just imagine me tiptoeing towards the spider, tissue in hand, slightly shaky because Sara would be so scared it would start rubbing off on me. If you picture that in mind, you can picture exactly what happened with Sister Kennington and I. She's a great cheerleader, but she stood at the doorway, ready to book it as I looked throughout the house for our supposed intruder. Needless to say, Sister Kennington wouldn't have gotten an ounce of sleep, so we got to have a sleepover at the Seegmillers. A first and last, I am sure.....
Brittany had to arm wrestle Elder Seegmiller after the apartment scare.

We also had interviews with President this week, I thought I would share some thoughts from my journal from that.

April 18, 2012
I love interviews! President always picks a question to ask all the missionaries. He told me that he usually asks new missionaries why they came on a mission, he wanted to know why I stayed on a mission.

I've thought a lot about this and I think there are a lot of reasons why I am still here.

First, I know that I promised Heavenly Father in heaven that I would serve a mission. Second, I know that these precious moments are the ones I get to prove to God who I am. Third, I feel honored and privileged to be helping Heavenly Father build up His Kingdom, and I don't want to waste a second of this privilege.

I don’t remember everything we talked about but two things stuck out to me. We talked about where true happiness comes from. It doesn't come from getting recognition or approval from peers. True happiness comes from getting approval from God. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father has taught me that lesson long ago. It is a sweet experience knowing that God has accepted all you can do.

I don't have time for any more, but I wanted to give you an update on how Cameron is doing. We taught him the Word of Wisdom the other day, and after we asked if he had any concerns about it and he said no, Sister Kennington asked, "Cameron, are you living the word of wisdom already?"

He looked her straight in the eye with a grin on his face and said yes! That is something I am beginning to understand as a missionary. There are those out there in the world that really want this. It is not about pulling teeth or lassoing someone into the Gospel, it is about welcoming them with open arms, and reminding them of what they already know.

Love you all. You are all in my prayers. Hope you are happy. If you're not, something's gotta change and no one can do the changing but you!:)


No comments:

Post a Comment