Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Prayer — and Salvation — don't come cheap

SAN DIEGO — Sister Miller is a hoot and a half. She is so great. We are definitely learning lots. I’m so glad she is patient with me. I’ve had my fair share of mess-ups as a trainer, but we just pick up the pieces, move on, and do it better the next time. I guess that’s good practice as a parent.

She makes me laugh all the time. I can’t remember all the funny things she’s done this week, but just the other day we were gassing up the car. It was on her side, so I had her do it. She got back in and we started driving up the freeway, all of the sudden I hear, "clunk, clunk, clunk." I look over at her and she has the biggest, widest eyes looking back at me. She forgot to put the gas cap back on!!!! Silly sister, I love her!

We are seeing a lot of success in the Helix Ward. I think I told you about adding some investigators (FINALLY) last week. Casey is one that we added. He has been taught many times before, but it just hasn’t clicked with him. We had a lesson with him at the church this week. We were able to teach him the simple doctrine that God is literally his father and that He wants Casey to build a relationship with Him through prayer, reading the Book of Mormon and coming to church. The Spirit was so strong.

There are moments as a missionary when you know you have completely given in to the Spirit and what he wants. Unfortunately as humans, often, we only partially give in, but when we fully surrender to heaven, the miracles easily slide right down from the heavens, and that power is manifested clearly and profoundly. We had one of those moments sitting in the lobby of the church with Casey. We committed him to be baptized, and he said yes for September 8th. I know there is a lot going against him, but he can do this, so keep him in your prayers!!

Speaking of prayer, Sister Miller and I were able to go to the Young Single Adult conference on Sunday for church. It was such a great sacrament meeting. Elder Haney, and a member of one of the YSA wards spoke on prayer. They read out of the Bible Dictionary about prayer, and it really touched my heart.

"The object of prayer is not to change the will of God, but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to grant, but are conditional on our asking for them... We pray in Christ's name when our mind is the mind of Christ, and our wishes the wishes of Christ. We then ask for things it is possible to grant"

I have a huge testimony of prayer, but sometimes I think I have forgotten that I need to ask what is the right question to ask. I need to try to place myself in Christ’s shoes and make his will my will, and his wishes my wishes. I have a testimony that those kinds of prayers, sincere hard work, thought out prayers bring forth miracles. God does hear and answer us!

One last thing I want to tell you about before I go was about our goodbye party last night. Can you believe another transfer has ended? We all get together at the Battalion and the sisters leaving share their testimonies. Sisters Burden, Young, Nelson and Elder and Sister Stallings shared theirs. The Spirit was so strong, and I was so grateful to have served with these wonderful Disciples of Christ. Sister Young shared an experience she remembered with Elder Zwick, who said, 

"Don’t you dare be afraid of the hard things in life. Don’t take the road most traveled or the road of least resistance. There is more joy that comes from facing challenges and trials with faith."

I believe that with all my heart. Salvation is not a cheap experience. It wasn’t for Christ. Why would it be for us? Don’t be scared of the hard stuff! It will only make you stronger. 

I know Satan wants us to be afraid, but why should we be afraid? Christ has already paid the price. He has already helped us gain exaltation, we only need to live with faith, repent, keep our covenants, and endure to the end.

I guess my thought to you all today is to go forward with faith. Christ can heal you. He has healed me and continues to everyday.


No comments:

Post a Comment