Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Baptism and making use of time

SAN DIEGO — Today, I wanted to just say---> YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!! Oliver and Cory were baptized this week!


Here is my journal entry for Cory's baptism:

Wednesday, March 7th

"Well, for the past two days I have been on pins and needles wondering if Cory's baptism would go through. We hadn't heard from him for two days and I was starting to get nervous. All I could remember was Sister Kennington quoting President Donaldson, our old mission president- "Their timing is according to your faith".

I am so grateful for the blessings that come from having faith in the Savior. Just a few hours ago, I sat in the church building watching Cory be baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It was quite fitting that the theme Heavenly Father decided to have us all talk about was the Holy Ghost. That is the whole reason Cory was here tonight. It all started about six months ago when Cory saw some of the guys in the branch home teaching on the base. I'm sure it was a peculiar sight, walking by and seeing five men in white shirts teaching a marine from a book that looked like scripture.

He asked them, "What are you guys all about?" From there, he came to came to church on and off for almost 7 months. Every time Cory left for a while, President Quinn (our branch president) would always reassure us, "He's felt too much, He'll be back". Indeed he was.

I watched as Cory, dressed in white, was led into the baptismal font. I imagined for a second what it would have been like to watch from the banks as Jesus Christ was led into the water by John the Baptist, what a sacred moment that must have been. Tonight was one of those sacred moments, one of those moments that I am sure heaven holds its breath awaiting another child to enter in at the gate. The Spirit was so strong, it was almost tangible. I am positive that if I was allowed an eternal perspective, I would have glimpsed the angels in heaven shouting for joy.

After the closing remarks, Cory was invited to share his testimony. He has no idea how profound his words were. As he was sharing, I was filled with the kind of joy that Ammon talks about in the scriptures. These past few days I have caught myself wondering if Cory truly did have a testimony. As he stood in front of me, testifying of the feelings he felt while being in a "Mormon church", while reading The Book of Mormon, and being involved with the members, there was no doubt in my mind that Cory has a testimony of this Church. How sweet this moment is, for he knows that our Redeemer lives!


I don't really have a lot to say this week. I mostly just want you to know that I too, know that my Redeemer lives. Wow, I had no idea how precious this life is. God is real. He does have a plan for us.

Rudy and Silvia's baptism

There is more to life than Facebook, movies, TV, the computer and all of that. I can't explain to you how I wish I would have understood that more before my mission. Yes, I have been on the opposite end of the computer, reading a missionary e-mail and thinking, Okay, that's great for him, but he's a missionary. Well, I'm just going to say this flat out.  I don't know why, but I just feel like I need to say it: It does matter for you! You are a missionary! And you are held accountable for the way you use your time!

Brittany getting her bangs cut on P-Day
As I have finished another transfer, tomorrow being transfer day, I again have found myself wondering: did I use the precious time Heavenly Father gave me perfectly? Did I love unconditionally? Did I serve faithfully? Did I teach lovingly? Did I make these moments matter most?



A happy memory, a thoughtful word, a moment taken to ponder, study and read, a kind deed, are far more important than an hour later at work, one more load of laundry, an episode on the TV.

Please, trust me. Please Please Please make these moments matter most.

No comments:

Post a Comment