Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Alzheimer's, ancestors, and a Mormon Bible

Well,

I can't believe it, but transfers are tomorrow! I actually am so SO happy i don't have to be the new sister anymore! We are getting two new Spanish-speaking sisters at the Battalion, which we need desperately.

Looking back on these past six weeks, I cannot believe all that has happened. Honestly, I have seen miracles every single day.

This week, Martha's husband came back from being in Washington for three weeks. If you remember, Martha is the woman we met walking home from the swimming pool. She and her husband are both listening to the lessons. We taught Martha about the Restoration and taught Jacob the Restoration for the first time. It is so amazing watching how teaching the Gospel sparks a reminder in people's souls of who they are and where they came from. It is humbling to know that we are not teaching them this for the first time, it is just that we are reminding them about the whole reason they are here — I love it! They are going to come to church on Sunday and Jacob is going to go play basketball with the Young Single Adult Ward (Martha and Jacob are only 19 and 20).

Well, missions come with miracles, hard times and lots of funnies, too. This week, I did a really good funny. We went to visit a lady that Sister Tardiff met while I was gone in another area with one of the other sisters. Her name is Betty and she is like 82 years old. We knocked on the door, and she let us in. The lesson was so hard in the first place. She couldn't hear a single thing, so we were practically yelling so she could hear and neither one of us knew what to say. As we kept talking to her, I realized that she had no idea that we had met her previously. In fact, I am almost positive she has either dementia or Alzheimer's. The funny thing is, I still set up a return appointment with her! I don't know what I was thinking, asking a woman who won't even remember who I am by the time I leave if we could come back and teach her. Sister Tardiff had a good laugh at me, that is for sure!

I was reading my scriptures at the laundry mat today in 3 Nephi. This was during one of the wars between the Nephites and Lamanites. Verse 15 it says,
"And it came to pass that the armies of the Nephites did return again to their place of security..."
I was thinking about that, during all the commotion of war and fighting, they returned to their place of security. Harold B. Lee said,

"The most important work you will ever do will be within the walls of your own home."

That is more true than I ever knew before. The home is so important, and I realize more and more while being out here how much trust God has given us to make our homes the most sacred place on earth. Everyone out there that have been reading my letters, I hope you are taking my challenge to invite a non-member over to your homes for dinner. Everyone in this world deserves to see how sacred the home is. I promise you that as they feel the sacredness of your homes, even if all you are doing is enjoying dinner together as friends, that spirit will touch their hearts. Please, all of you take that challenge and let me know how it goes. You are all so amazing and I know you can do this. You are all missionaries!
"There is neither man or woman in this church who is not on a mission. That mission will last as long as they live, and it is to do good, to promote righteousness, to teach the principles of truth, and to prevail upon themselves and everybody around them to live those principles that they may obtain eternal life." -President Brigham Young
You can do this challenge, I have so much faith in you, I will be praying for you all! Remember, ALL of us are missionaries in this work!

No shout outs this week, because I haven't been able to pick up my mail. So sorry, but know I love you all!

I thought I would leave you with a part of my journal from this week:
August 12, 2011

The Battalion was so busy today. I took four tours and got 5 referrals from nonmembers. We passed our goal of 10 referrals by a lot- we had 23 referrals by the end of the night. Heavenly Father is using this site so much to touch the lives of so many people. I took a family through, the Javans, who had twin daughters who go to school with an LDS girl. He wanted so badly to get a copy of "the Mormon Bible." I was not expecting him to be interested, but once again, Heavenly Father has reminded me that He has people ready for the Gospel and He knows better than me who they are.

As I was saying my prayers tonight, the thought and feeling came into my heart that my great-grandma Dinah is watching me from heaven. I want to live up to the amazing woman I was named after. I am not doing things perfectly, in fact, i know that i have messed up a lot, but already I can see that Heavenly Father is helping me become the daughter He wants me to be..."

I know I say this so much, but i hope you know who Heavenly Father wants you to be. You have the potential to become kings and queens in the kingdom of God. This life is such an amazing time to become who we are meant to be and to show Heavenly Father how much we love Him by following the commandments He has given us.

Have a wonderful week everyone! I love you all so much!



No comments:

Post a Comment